Helpful Websites on Research/Agriculture
- American Society of Animal Science: good place to explore the different species, find out about future events you might be interested in, and network with professionals in the field of research/animal science! (When looking through Journals of Animal Science, you have to look at the archives if non-member)
- American Meat Science Association: great place to start exploring the world of animal products/meat production in the United States. Able to network with industry people and explore opportunities for careers as well as get a better idea of how the meat production world has changed thus far.
- American Sheep Industry Association: very detailed site about sheep production, scholarly journals, events coming up, careers, etc... Great place to start networking in the sheep/wool industry and be up-to-date with latest news.
- Journal of Animal Science: great place for those without a specific animal in mind. Leads to many scholarly articles from various years as well as biographies/photographs/etc...
- Journal of Equine Veterinary Science: website dedicated to equine nutrition, exercise, health, fitness, and etc... Has a link to Equine Science Society for those looking for more active involvement with equine and up coming meets.
- Journal of Dairy Science: great resource on papers dealing with issues in dairy industry. Also able to look at ADSA (American Dairy Science Association) for abstracts, annual meetings, and so on.
- Poultry Science Association: able to access archives of journals about poultry science, view future meeting dates/locations, get an idea of careers in poultry and so on. Also has links to poultry industries from: Broilers to Turkeys to Egg Production and much more!
Links to Help with Writing Research Papers [Formatting]
The above links are great places to start looking for primary sources when writing your research paper. Many of the above websites can also lead you to more sites with many more scholarly journals available for students to cite in papers for classes or independent projects.
- American Physiological Association (APA)
- APA Sample Paper
- Guide for Authors: Journal of Animal Science detailed guideline to writing up a research paper.
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- MLA Sample Paper
- MSU Libraries: resources to use to search for general research papers when first starting out on a paper.
The links given lead you to people of industry and their take on agriculture from a "farmer" stand point. A lot of these people also have Facebook pages and other social media profiles available for you to follow.
- A Colorful Adventure: Janice Person likes to take photos of farms and has a lot of information on COTTON. Great way to see farming across the globe!
- Agriculture Proud: Ryan grew up on an Arkansas family cattle ranch and spent a summer on a Wyoming ranch, where he really started to enjoy blogging about agriculture. Blogs about food and farming.
- Agriculture Science Today: website of podcasts taking a more in depth look at agriculture research papers and discusses them in interesting/entertaining ways. Also available on: iTunes, stitcher, and tunein. Hosts are Tim Zweber (BS in Dairy Science from University of Minnesota) and Stephanie Neal (currently working on PhD at Ohio State University).
- Dairy Carrie: Wisconsin farmer that grew up with love for horses/rodeo. Talks about issues in dairy industry today and blogs from other people (Humans of Agriculture).
- Farm Policy: for those wanting to get into agriculture and politics, or wanting to keep up-to-date on new legislation. Great place to get numbers/figures for a better understanding on the agriculture world as a whole.
- Mom at the Meat Counter: Janeal Yancey has her PhD in meat science and is a proud mother of 2 girls. Her blog is dedicated to keeping consumers in the loop of the meat industry and explaining why farmers/producers do what they have to do and the strict guidelines associated with the meat industry.
- Peterson Farm Bros: Greg, Nathan, and Kendal are siblings that farm together a beef farm in Kansas that also grow various cash crops. Best known for creating videos on YouTube of remixes of popular songs and relate them back to agriculture.
- Pink Tractor: a site dedicated to women in agriculture. Awesome place for everything agriculture (blog posts, issues/problems, other helpful sites, and much more)!
- The Truth About Agriculture: this site it solely dedicated to getting the TRUTH on agriculture and busting the myths coming from large corporations with celebrity advertising.